Preparing for Adulthood is a process that all young people go through when they move on from being a teenager and become an adult. It can be an exciting time but it has also been recognised that this can be a very difficult time for some young people, especially those with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND).
It is also the time when young people with disabilities or additional needs transfer from Children's Services to Adult Services in education, health and social care provision. This process means a period of uncertainty for young people and their parents or carers. Sometimes they may be unsure what to expect and what support is available to help plan for the future.
Identifying what is working or not working in regards to:
- Education or employment
- Independent living
- Being part of community and having friends and relationships
- Good health and wellbeing
should develop a clear direction of travel and help the young person to discover and create the future they want.
The information contained in this section will help you to find out what support, services or information may be available to help you and your family prepare for this important stage of your life.
Together for Children and Sunderland City Council cannot recommend or endorse any providers or services listed. Please read our full disclaimer here.
- Click the link on the right to view all services in this category.
- You can narrow your results by using the filters on the right hand side of the results screen.
- You can also add results to a shortlist in order to tailor them to your child and family's needs.
We have provided some advice and guidance articles below which may help you: See Related Advice