Skip to main content
  Toggle Point Symbols

Education, Health and Care Plans

If you have a child or young person with SEN (they have a learning difficulty or disability) they may sometimes require a level of support that is more intensive than the resources usually available in their school.  In such a case, you or your child's school could consider asking the Local Authority to undertake an Education, Health and Care needs assessment which could lead to your child receiving an Education, Health & Care Plan (EHCP).

What is an Education, Health and Care Plan?
An EHCP brings together your child's education, health and social care needs into a single plan which is a legal document. Your child must have special educational needs to be eligible for a plan. 

An Education, Health and Care Plan will describe the needs of the child or young person, the services required to meet those needs and the suitable educational placement.  It will be developed in partnership with you and your child or young person and will be carried out within 20 weeks of the needs assessment.

How do I apply for an EHC Plan?
A parent or young person would need submit a written request to the Local Authority asking for a formal assessment to be carried out.  The written request will need to contain information about which agencies are currently involved in working with the child or young person.   

Who decides whether a child needs an EHC Plan?
The Local Authority will make the decision as to whether a child or young person needs an ‘Education, Health and Care Plan’, just as it does at the moment with ‘Statements’.  The process leading to this decision will however be shorter (maximum 20 weeks) and more child/young person and family-focussed.   

My child currently has a statement of special educational needs, what does this mean for them?
Sunderland will make the transfer from Statements and LDA’s (139a) to EHC Plans at the end of each Key Stage or move into a new phase of education, between 1st September 2014 and 31st April 2018.  You will be notified when this is due to happen for your child/young person.  Details of the predicted timetable of change can be accessed through the links on the right hand side of this page – Transition Plan.

The statement will only cease to have effect once an Education, Health and Care Plan has been made.

What will happen to children who do not have a statement or who are on School Action/School Action Plus?
Under the current legislation, children and young people at school who do not have a statement of SEN may be supported under arrangements known as ‘School Action’ and ‘School Action Plus’.  These terms reflect differing levels of need and support provided.

The terms and arrangements ‘School Action’ and ‘School Action Plus’ are not included in the new legislation  However, there is still provision for children without statements.  This will be set out in the Code of Practice which will support the new SEN arrangements.  The Code of Practice, which was published in July 2014, calls this ‘SEN support’ and gives an idea about what this might look like.  It indicates this should be a graduated approach which takes form of a four-part cycle – Assess, Plan, Do, Review.

What happens if the local authority decides that an EHC plan is not necessary?
If, following assessment, the local authority decides that an EHC plan is not necessary, it must inform the parents or young person, the early years provider, school or post 16 institution currently attended and the health service, and give the reasons for its decision.  This must take place within 16 weeks of the initial request or of the child or young person having been brought to the authority's attention. The local authority must also tell the parents or young person that they have the right to appeal to the SEND Tribunal against the decision and set out the time limits for appeal, and the availability of parent partnership and disagreement resolution services.

If you would like to find out more information regarding the whole process you can find the Code of Practice at

Back to top